Year 9 Options
Options Video links:
- Languages (French and Spanish)
- Humanities (Geography, History and RE)
- Art Design & Technology (Photography, Fine Art, Textiles, D&T, Food Prep and iMedia)
- Other Subjects (Computer Science, Enterprise & Marketing, Child Development and PE/Sports Studies)
- Performing Arts (Music, Drama, Dance)
We expect all students to take a responsible role in their choice of option subjects, with information advice and guidance from staff at the school.
There will be a range of activities, to help students make the right choices. This will include:
· Presentations from subject teachers giving information about the subjects on offer
· ‘Taster’ lessons in some subjects that would be new to students
· Meetings with senior staff to discuss their option choices
· Lessons in PSHE focusing on careers and option choices
All students will receive additional information and advice from their subject teachers and will have the opportunity to discuss the various pathways at school.
It is important that students find out as much information about the courses as possible before they choose their preferences. We include some useful websites to help with your research in this booklet. Advice will also be given to students about reasons for choosing subjects. A bad reason for choosing a subject would be in order to stay with particular friends. A good reason might be that they are thinking about taking this subject at A Level.
The taster lessons in new subjects will also give a more practical insight into what the course involves and help students make informed decisions about whether a subject is right for them.
All students will have the opportunity to discuss careers issues with a member of the Leadership Group, their tutors or our Careers Co-ordinator Mrs Adams. There will be meetings for each student with staff to talk about the right option choices for them. All students will continue to receive regular and detailed careers advice throughout Years 10 and 11.