Term 4 Newsletter - Headteacher Update
I hope this newsletter finds you well. It has been two whole years since the first lockdown and the start of the COVID pandemic and we are still having to live with some of the constraints and disruptions to our everyday lives. It was as a last resort that we had to move some KS3 year groups to remote learning this term and I would like to thank the parents and carers for their support and understanding across these difficult times. We hope that this is the last time we need to make these decisions. We have been awaiting further guidance from the DFE regarding living with COVID and have just received this.
- Adults with the symptoms of a respiratory infection, and who have a high temperature or feel unwell, should try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people until they feel well enough to resume normal activities and they no longer have a high temperature.
- Symptoms of COVID-19, flu and common respiratory infections include:
- continuous cough
- high temperature, fever or chills
- loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell
- shortness of breath
- unexplained tiredness, lack of energy
- muscle aches or pains that are not due to exercise
- not wanting to eat or not feeling hungry
- headache that is unusual or longer lasting than usual
- sore throat, stuffy or runny nose
- diarrhoea, feeling sick or being sick
- Children and young people who are unwell and have a high temperature should stay at home and avoid contact with other people. They can go back to school when they no longer have a high temperature, and they are well enough to attend.
- Free COVID tests have ended and as a school we no longer have any stocks of lateral flow tests. Adults with a positive COVID-19 test result should try to stay home and isolate for 5 days and children for 3 days, which is when they are most infectious.
It has been a great honour to be part of the Barnwood Park family for the past 5 years and to be the Headteacher here, and I am truly sad to be leaving. However, the interview process to find my successor has now taken place and the new Headteacher of Barnwood Park will be Mrs Karen Clinton. I hope you will all join me in wishing her good luck in the role and every success in continuing the developmental journey of the school.
Work Experience 23rd -27th May
This year, work experience for our Year 10s takes place from 23rd to 27th May. They will be gaining useful experience in industry and in ‘the world of work’. This is particularly important as it is an opportunity to fine tune their goals and aspirations along with giving them valuable experience to use when applying for jobs in the future.
Please do consider whether, in your place of work, you may be able to offer a placement to a student for next year – we can give you plenty of support and advice and your company may even be able to access some useful marketing and promotion through our networks.
Prom on 01 July
Year 11 students will have the chance to say their final farewell to the class of 2022 by attending the Year 11 Prom on Friday 1st July 2022 at Bowden Hall.
Our plans for the Summer Term with regards to Sports Day and Activities Day are already underway and will be forwarded to you in due course. We are excited to be offering a more ‘normal’ schedule for both and details for these events will follow shortly.
There are so many exceptional students who tirelessly work hard and achieve great things every day, so we plan to hold Awards Evening on Thursday 14th July. This will follow the format from last year and be online. Mr Gardner will again be the Compere of Choice and has already sent his dinner jacket off to the dry cleaners!
Year 6 Induction
We have now had our list of allocated students for our September 2022 Year 7 intake. Letters of welcome have been sent and we are now looking to plan an induction for them on 7th and 8th July. We are planning to provide some activities for the new members of our family who will be starting in September, but will need to wait until a little later in the term to confirm these. It is very pleasing to note that we are again one of the most oversubscribed schools in Gloucestershire, with over 700 Year 6 students applying for 180 places.
Charities and Fundraising
Our students and staff have been making a difference to the lives of those in need by raising over £2300 so far this year for charities. We have non-uniform days planned as indicated below for our link charities selected by each year group through the Student Parliament.
|5||7th April 2022||House charities 3|
|6||1st July 2022||House charities 4|
|House||House Charity 2021-2022|
|Attenborough||Cancer Research UK|
|Jenner||Sue Ryder - Leckhampton Hospice|
|Whole school||Winston's Wish|
Year 9 students have been busy choosing their options for the subjects they will be hoping to continue into Key Stage 4. We wish them luck as they will soon be starting their journeys into studying their GCSEs or equivalent courses. These choices will soon be shared with Y9 students as the finishing touches are being made to the process.
We have the following online Parents’ Evenings planned. These are important in aiding your child’s development and journey. They are to celebrate the things going well and discuss the next steps that can be taken to further progress. The next upcoming Parents' Evening is for Year 7 students on Thursday 19th May. Parents should have received an email with instructions to book appointments and the booking system is available from 4pm on Friday 8th April.
Thank you, as always, for your continued support of both staff and students at Barnwood Park enabling us to continue to provide the best learning opportunities, safety and well-being for our school community.