Design & Technology
Design and Technology at Barnwood Park gives students an understanding of a variety of materials and processes delivered through interesting and contemporary contexts. Underpinning everything we do is the development of problem solving skills and a greater understanding of the world around us.
Our KS3 curriculum has been designed so that students are able to build upon their skills and understanding and develop a greater level of independence. Here is a basic outline of our current KS3 Scheme of Work:
Our KS3 programme prepares students well for GCSE Design and Technology – this is an excellent choice for students planning a career in engineering or design. GCSE Design and Technology is taught through small design and make projects in Year 10, which cover the content and embed the learning. The 4 main areas covered in the GCSE are:
New and Emerging Technologies
Energy, Materials, Systems and Devices
Materials and their Working Properties
KS4 - More information found in the Y9 options booklet.
- Subject knowledge and design skills delivered through a variety of design and make tasks which will cover.
- Designing and making principles.
- New and emerging technologies.
- Energy generation and storage.
- Structural and mechanical design.
- Understanding materials.
- Systems approach to designing.
- Ecological and social footprint.
- Production engineering.
- Investigation, primary and secondary data.
- Environmental, social and economic challenge.
- The work of other designers.
- Communication and modelling of design ideas.
- Substantial design and make task (Non Exam Assessment).
- Assessment criteria to include the following:
- Exam preparation and completion.